merito do candidato postdoc

Coloca perguntas a qualquer dos bolseiros que por aqui passem.
Responder
susy
investigador em formação
investigador em formação
Registado: terça set 10, 2013 4:38 pm
University/ Institute: london

merito do candidato postdoc

Mensagem por susy »

Hi,
sorry for writing in english, I do speak Portuguese, but writing is a bit more challenging.

I'd like to ask about candidates CV. I am applying for a postdoc FCT fellowship, do you know how many first author papers an applicant should have to be even considered competitive. I have heard some daunting news... if one doesn't have at least 2 first author original data papers in international journals, then his/her possibilities are very very low of getting the fellowship. Do you reckon this is true?
I know it is incredibly competitive, but really, how many of you have more than 2 good original first author papers in the science field?
...Also, do you know if the FCT plans to prioritize national students rather than foreigners.... I am thinking I should give up applying all together...

thank you for your help

Susy

killian.lobato
recém-chegado
recém-chegado
Registado: quarta set 07, 2011 1:59 pm
University/ Institute: Faculty of Sciences of the Uni. Lisboa
Contacto:

Re: merito do candidato postdoc

Mensagem por killian.lobato »

Hi Susy,
I was thinking about this and it is true. You need at least one to have a good grade in the evaluation of the candidate. You should look carefully at the Evaluation Guide and see how the evaluate the candidate.
-
Assistant Professor | Professor Auxiliar
Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon

susy
investigador em formação
investigador em formação

Mensagem por susy »

killian.lobato Escreveu:Hi Susy,
I was thinking about this and it is true. You need at least one to have a good grade in the evaluation of the candidate. You should look carefully at the Evaluation Guide and see how the evaluate the candidate.
I Killian,
thank you for your reply! In the evaluation guide there is written that 1 paper and less than 3 years PhD will give u 3 points, the max in that table. But this issue came up while talking with some other applicants and supervisors, they told me that because it is so competitive, people with only 1 paper will not get the fellowship for sure. Basically, what they suggested was that people with 1 paper asd less than 3 yrs PhD will get 3 points, but the other ones will get more. they will get the extra points to make up to 5. This is how, the 1 paper applicants will then be excluded. Now, my question was I guess more of a poll, how was wondering how many post doc science applicants had more that 1 data papers and how they felt about this issue.

Bitter Sweet Girl
cientista sempre presente
cientista sempre presente
Registado: quinta set 14, 2006 10:49 am
University/ Institute: FCUL

Mensagem por Bitter Sweet Girl »

susy Escreveu: ...Also, do you know if the FCT plans to prioritize national students rather than foreigners.... I am thinking I should give up applying all together...

thank you for your help

Susy
In previous years, FCT has not prioritized national students. Regarding Physics BPD, close to 2/3 of the fellowships given last year were given to foreigners.
Papers are very important, even though it is not clear how many points they give to each paper, first author papers are always rated higher.

christianramos
investigador em formação
investigador em formação
Registado: segunda nov 20, 2006 10:08 am
University/ Institute: IST
Contacto:

Mensagem por christianramos »

Hi!
I think it depends a litle within each scientific area. In the last years, in Biological Sciences, 2 first author (FA), high impact (> 7) journals, or >4 FA papers in IF=4 would be a good candidate.

This year, to reach 3 points (in a total of 5) you need a FA paper <3y, but this is the baseline. I believe that they will rank IF, and non-FA papers will have litle weight, but this is my previous experience and current reading. I could be wrong, after all, I'm a scientist :)
Christian Gomes Ramos, PhD
Post-Doctoral Fellow
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-8588-2010
Biological Sciences Research Group
http://groups.ist.utl.pt/bsrg/Team/cramos.html
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Instituto Superior Técnico

N_C_P_de_Gloucester
investigador em formação
investigador em formação
Registado: quarta out 19, 2011 1:24 pm
University/ Institute: Coimbra University
Localização: Departamento de Física, Universidade de Coimbra,, Rua Larga, 3004-516 Coimbra.
Contacto:

Mensagem por N_C_P_de_Gloucester »

Bitter Sweet Girl Escreveu:"In previous years, FCT has not prioritized national students. [. . .]"
That is not true.

susy
investigador em formação
investigador em formação

Mensagem por susy »

N_C_P_de_Gloucester Escreveu:
Bitter Sweet Girl Escreveu:"In previous years, FCT has not prioritized national students. [. . .]"
That is not true.
from their figures, it is stated that 2/3 of scholarships were given to foreigners in the past years, so, if anything, home students were disadvantaged. When I saw these data I thought that in percentage there were more foreigners applying as home students were applying outside portugal. I think that all students and scientists from around the world want to move at one point and want to do an experience abroad and what best than phD and postdoc, this is why, I thought, 2/3 of scholarships were for foreigners.... but after reading the application, I found it a little tricky to fill as many things are only in portuguese, many things are not translated well (maybe they are in american english but there are expressions that left me clueless), FAQs didn't work until very recently....
So I was wondering, but speaking with some friend already working in portugal, they told me that portugal is trying to attract foreign scientist as any other country. this is not because portuguese people are not good enough of course, it goes without saying really, but because in research it is vital to have a multi ethnic and multi disciplinary approach and in fact, diverse groups are usually the most productive.
So I dont know, I hope I get it as portugal is a beautiful country with beautiful people and very smart scientists. it would be an honour for me to be chosen.
I hope you get your fellowship too. :wink: :wink: :wink:

N_C_P_de_Gloucester
investigador em formação
investigador em formação
Registado: quarta out 19, 2011 1:24 pm
University/ Institute: Coimbra University
Localização: Departamento de Física, Universidade de Coimbra,, Rua Larga, 3004-516 Coimbra.
Contacto:

Mensagem por N_C_P_de_Gloucester »

FCT did have an initiative which I think was called something like Welcome Back to supposedly encourage people of foreign citizenship to work in Portugal.

However, actions speak louder than words.

FCT initially (for many months) illegally did not pay hundreds of people of foreign citizenship during 2012. A press release which does not contain an admission of guilt (even though it was a lawyer who forced FCT to pay us) is
HTTP://WWW.FCT.Pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/Pr ... 705_en.pdf
(the Portuguese version of this press release is not clearer).

FCT forbids people of almost any citizenship from even applying if they did not already reside in Portugal for something like at least five years. From
HTTP://WWW.FCT.Pt/apoios/bolsas/regulamento.phtml :
"[. . .]

Section I - Application, review and evaluation, award and renewal of grants

Article 14 – Candidates
1.Without prejudice to the provisions in the paragraphs that follow, the following individuals may apply for grants directly or indirectly funded by FCT: a.Portuguese citizens, or citizens of other European Union member states;
b.Citizens of other countries who hold permanent residence permits in Portugal or who hold the status of long-term resident, attested to by the SEF, Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, under the terms respectively of Articles 80 and 125 of Law 23/2007;
c.Other third country citizens, where the official announcement provides for individual interviews as selection method.

[. . .]"
That might not harm you, but it is very unfair and it harms many people for no good reason. During a previous year, an article like this led onto this application-form section:
"10. Justificação de candidatura de cidadão estrangeiro
10. Justification of application by foreign citizen

Certificado de residência permanente ou de estatuto de residente de longa duração nos termos do artigo 17 do Regulamento

Permanent or long term residence permit according to article 17 of the Regulations"

Responder